Embed Youtube in WordPress (.com)January 19, 2007 at 9:46 am | Posted in Webfilm, Youtube | 1 Comment
This might serve as a reference post for me rather than for the reader’s diversion. On and off, I’ve been having problems with embedding videos from youtube. You cannot use the regular embed tag that is provided by youtube According to WP’s youtube support page, they don’t accept what they call arbitrary code – the embed function apparently IS arbitrary code.
They offer a snippet ready for you to copy and paste, but that stopped working as well. And it was slightly different from the Youtube video URL anyway, so maybe that had to do with it.
N.B.: If your blog uses WP software but is hosted elsewhere, wordpress.ORG is where you’d find support. It might be that this solution is not working for you
Here is what worked for me (recommended by the Shandyking.
- Log into your account hosted on wordpress.com and go the dashboard.
- Select the item ‘Users’ from the main navigation.
- Select ‘Your profile’ from the submenu.
- Uncheck the box ‘Use the visual rich editor when writing’.
- Click ‘Update profile’ before leaving this page to save your changes.
- Start a new post and paste the following code:
- Once pasted, you need to delete the space between the bracket and youtube (I had to add it to avoid that youtube interprets it as a functional tag).
- Now replace the ID of this video (ZZ0c5F6pFi4) with the ID of the video you want to link to.
Looking for directions to embed video from DailyMotion, SplashCast, LiveVideo or PodTech? The answere is here.
P.S. But for some reason, I wasn’t able to embed the Jack Tweedy masturbating on Celebrity Big Brother video using this trick. With my thing for conspiracy theories, I wondered whether there was a mysterious youtube function that deactivated links to erotic content. But Lenina was able to link to a similar video without any such problems. And above all, you really don’t see anything kinky in the video, except the that there’s movement under the duvet. If you have any idea, leave a comment.